Position Title: Farm Director
Location: 1087 Mere Point Rd, Brunswick ME. 04011
Duration: Full Time
Salary: will be commensurate with experience and knowledge.
We are a local family owned and operated business since 2015. Our focus is growing the best oysters in Maine by growing our product in floating oyster cages and constant husbandry tasks such as tumbling. We operate in Maquoit and Mere Point Bay on a 35-acre lease and we sell throughout the US and Canada.
The director position is responsible for coordinating and directing farm managers to optimize each aspect of the farm’s production while balancing the department needs. Work hours will be balanced between administrative duties and production demands. In addition to office hours, this position will require farm work as needed. More specific duties are as follows.
- All farm personnel will report to you
- Advise Farm Manager on crops and farm management. This includes species grown, crop rotation, farming practices, inventorying, and harvest techniques
- Help educate Farm Managers to improve their managerial skills and farming knowledge.
- Set farm goals and evaluate Farm Manager performance yearly.
Work with Senior Leadership team and Farm Manager to forecast and schedule cropsfor the farm, culling, packing, and shipping departments.
- Develop and maintain 12–36-month plan for the farm’s operational needs.
- Assist in monthly and yearly farm budgeting process.
- Work with Executive Team on capital investment priorities
Ensure Farm Managers are maintaining farm, maintenance, HR, ECOP (environmentalcodes of practice) & safety records.
- Ensure Farm Managers enforce company rules, policies, and safety procedures for their crews.
Work with the Executive Team and Farm Manager to develop and facilitate the successof new policy/ technology implementation.
Coordinating - working with management team to coordinate crews and equipment tomaximize company efficiency.
Represent MPOC and your division at meetings. This could be within the company,industry, governmental, existing/ new partnerships, or community groups.
- Work with Farm Manager to develop long range plans.
- Work with Senior Leadership Team and Farm Manager to identify and test new grow- out and harvesting methods
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAO):
- College Degree preferred
- 3+ years of aquaculture farm management (or equivalent) experience preferred.
Team and Individual leadership skills. Demonstrated ability to lead and motivate a crewof 5-15 individuals.
- Ability to help develop and maintain a budget for a profitable operation.
- Well organized, detail oriented and strong planning skills.
- Forecasting skills for scheduling and crop husbandry.
- Strong communication skills (both verbal and written).
- Ability to work independently, at times with little direction.
- Strong and sound decision-making skills.
- Proficiency in: Microsoft Office – Word, Excel, Outlook.
Strong technology understanding: ability to learn and work with both mobile andcomputer technologies.
- Ability to work outdoors in ALL weather conditions.
40 – 50 hours per work week. Time of day is variable.
- Job & Safety Requirements
- Must have valid driver’s license with clean driving record to qualify for company insurance policy.
- Ability to sit, stand and/or walk on uneven terrain up to 8 hours per day.
The employee may be required to stoop, bend, kneel, twist, and squat 30 percent of thetime
- The employee needs to be able to lift up to 50 lbs. (Regularly required to exert up to
- 20lbs or force, frequently required to exert up to 50 lbs. of force, occasionally required to exert up to 125 lbs. of force).
- Must have agility and balance to safely climb on machines, boats, docks, etc.
Vision requirements include:
- ability to adjust focus.
How to Apply:
- Please send a cover letter, your resume, and 3 references to Cam Niven (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Applications are accepted starting immediately.
- MPOC is an Equal Opportunity Employer