Ingredients (Serves 4)
2 dozen oysters
½ c chopped Pancetta or bacon
3 c chopped leeks
2 T fresh thyme
2 russet potatoes cubed
3 bottles of clam juice
3 c half and half or milk
3 T flour
Parsley and oyster crackers for serving
- Steam oysters in a small amount of water in a large soup pot until they open. Set oysters aside to cool and reserve liquid.
- Sautee pancetta in the same pot until crisp. Set aside.
- Add leeks to pot and sauté until they soften.
- Whisk in flour. Gradually whisk in clam juice, half and half and a bit of reserved oyster liquid.
- Add potato and thyme and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until potato is tender – about 10 minutes.
- Shuck oysters and add them until they are heated through.
- Serve with fresh parsley and oyster crackers.